Winter Service Operations – Prepare and Operate Snow Blowers
Book Winter Prepare and Operate Snow Blowers Course
At a glance…
Assessment Only Competence with Modules
Duration Notes: The expected duration for the course is half a day, however please note this may vary according to factors such as level of experience, modules or attachments selected, or the ratio of Instructors to Learners.
Prerequisites: Learners must hold a current and valid:
- Driving licence, applicable for the size of machine and have been profiled by the Provider
- Certificate for WSO01 Winter Service Operations – Health and Safety Awareness
Becoming proficient in operating this equipment is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small.
Overview in Brief
This course will assess your knowledge and give you confidence to operate the equipment safely, protecting both you and those around you.
This course offers a range of certificate options depending on your needs:
- Dedicated snow blowers
- Demountable snow blowers
- Dedicated Highways England winter service vehicles
- Dedicated National Assembly for Wales winter service vehicles
The Finer Details
This assessment course has been developed to assess your knowledge and understanding of how to prepare and operate snow blowers.
The course duration will depend on the number of Learners requiring assessment and will last between half a day and one full day.
The assessment will consist of oral questioning and practical assessment using the machine. Assessment will cover:
- Winter Service Operations and the Law
- Machine and De-icing Material Knowledge
- Working Practices
- Machine Familiarisation
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
Who Should Attend?
This course is for you if you need to prove your ability in safely preparing and operating snow blowers or renew your Lantra Skills card.
As you’ll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
What Will be Covered?
At the end of this course, you will have proved your ability to:
- Carry out pre-start checks on the prime mover
- Carry out pre-start checks on the snow blower
- Carry out functional checks on the snow blower and prime mover
- Describe the key safety measures that must be taken into account when carrying out prestart checks
- Describe the importance of regular maintenance
- Mount and secure the snow blower on to the prime mover
- Operate snow blowers in a safe and controlled manner appropriate for typical winter conditions
- State the purpose of safe systems of work during snow clearing activities
- Carry out snow clearing activities in a safe and controlled manner
- Identify the factors that would make the snow blower unsafe or unsuitable for use
- Explain why route features, weather conditions and surface conditions may affect the clearing operations and chute settings
- Define the purpose of tools, equipment and accessories carried on the snow blower
- Explain the importance of all-round visibility and good communication
- Demonstrate how to park the prime mover and shutdown equipment safely
- Explain the purpose of isolation controls
- Define the purpose of shear pins and the importance of regularly maintaining them
- State the safety measures to take before replacing shear pins
- Demonstrate how to replace the shear pins
- Define how blockages can be detected and cleared when using a snow blower
- Demonstrate how to safely remove and store any demountable equipment